Tuesday 28 August 2007

Dam(n) dredging

Yes, yes, I'm still here. The mental prison doors have slammed shut once again. Quel surprise! I need a shrink or something I know. Maybe one day. Anyway, now that this year's travel is off, I can get on with enraging myself in my nice, safe, pretend electronic world can't I?

I just wanted to briefly mention a little phenomena that infuriates me: message board dredging. I don't know whether this is a recognised technical term, but it annoys me no end. This is where, usually new members, on a community board, go through seemingly every post ever created through the midsts of time and add a (usually) inane comment on the bottom with the result being that posts, which you thought were dead and buried, are moved to the top of the board. Prime example, and the one that has really got me going, is on the JUB community board for amateur self-pics (use your imagination). Anyway, yesterday, some utter pratt appears to have gone on, using his new found skill - cut and paste - and added "nice set of pictures" to tens of posts, going back as far as the beginning of June. Consequently, I have to scroll through pages and pages to find anything that's actually new.

A lot of boards have controls to let you sort the postings, so you can usually negate the effect of the odd mindless moron and filter posts by the date that they were started. Unfortunately, the JUB boards don't seem to have that facility.

This, I think, is just another example of people clearly not behaving in a way that they might if there was real, face-to-face contact involved. Otherwise, I suppose, pissing people off like that might result in a couple of black eyes. I would hope.

No comments: