Saturday 25 August 2007

"I hate sheep"

When things aren't working out, like at the moment, I can sometimes be drawn to watching the chat in the main room. Never joining in of course. That's just for prissy queens, cyber-exhibitionists or the 'cool' brigade. I'm well aware that sitting in a room behind a computer screen doesn't equate to real social contact. My problem is that I have this psychological aversion to actually meeting people. Those that chat in the main room don't seem to grasp it and either invent a life that they don't lead in a sad attempt to convince people that they're normal or are craving attention/acceptance.

Anyway, psychoanalysis of the chatters aside, today's little gem in the main room was someone apparently hawking for gay hotel staff. To most normal people, this would set alarm bells ringing. A gay chatroom is not the usual place to look for employees. And, I think, for most people the declaration that the owners of this staff-challenged establishment are "good empluers" would have ended any discussion of the merits of such a venture stone dead. Not with this lot. Some expressed interest, asking pertinent questions such as "where is the hotel?" and stating "I've always wanted to work in the hospitality industry". This prompted our employment agent to encourage the interested parties to message him in a private chat and, seemingly from the silence in the main chat room of some of those initially showing an interest, that is exactly what they've done.

Now call me a cynic if you like, but it's fairly obvious to me that this guy, verging on illiterate was in reality advertising for rent boys to frequent some seedy brothel, probably in the middle of nowhere. I can imagine that the 'guests' like nothing more than to see silly fools who are more used to bashing out meaningless drivel in chat rooms, parading around in ill fitting jockstraps serving cocktails. Though how they would manage it when they're more used to typing rather than talking is anyone's guess.

I don't know, maybe it's just an extension of my current frustration. I just wonder, even if I was to go out into the big wide world and meet 'real' people - can I expect them to have more smarts than this lot? Maybe someone will fill me in.

No comments: